Out-of-Province Limits on Albertans — Part 4

If you haven’t already heard the good news, Albertans are now entitled to legally spend 7 months out of Canada without losing their provincial health care coverage. This is a major victory. 

Many thanks are owed to the Canadian Snowbird Association for its continuing work on our behalf. Thanks as well to all of you who wrote letters to Alberta government officials requesting the extended limits. 

The following letter was sent to Alberta CSA members earlier in December. If you are not a CSA member, now would be a great time to join!

CSAIn late 2012, the Canadian Snowbird Association distributed a survey to our Alberta members asking whether they would like us to work with the Alberta Government to increase out-of-country health coverage from six to seven months. The positive response to this survey was overwhelming as over 97% of respondents answered yes.

Since then, in conjunction with a very successful letter writing campaign from our membership, the CSA has been working with elected officials in Alberta and their staff members in order to obtain an additional month of coverage for long-term travelling residents.

The CSA is pleased to inform all Alberta snowbirds that the Alberta Government has, effective immediately, increased the amount of time residents may be absent from Canada from six to seven months or 212 days while still retaining their provincial health coverage. Alberta is now the fifth province in Canada to permit out-of-country absences over six months, along with Manitoba, Ontario, British Columbia and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The CSA would like to thank Premier Alison Redford, the Honourable Fred Horne, Minister of Health and the Honourable Dave Quest, Associate Minister of Health for Seniors for their support and responsiveness to this matter.

If you have any questions or comments related to this increase, or any other issue, please contact the CSA office toll-free at 1-800-265-3200 or email us at csastaff@snowbirds.org.

We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.


Bob Slack, President, & Rick Thorpe, Director – Western Canada
The Canadian Snowbird Association
The Voice of Travelling Canadians

For earlier posts on this topic, check here.

Please note — this does not mean you can spend 7 months in the USA. If you’d like to know more about what CSA is doing to increase the time Canadians can spend in the US each year, check here and enter “Canadian Retiree Visa” in the search box at the top of the page.


2 thoughts on “Out-of-Province Limits on Albertans — Part 4

  1. Whoo hooo, now I can come south and visit my 93 yr old mom in the Yukon and still miss most of the white stuff. Actually I feel that I am saving the province money by not slipping and breaking a leg on the ice.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s